PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asic - The Great Con Job
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2007, 01:19
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Counter Rotation, mate I sypmathise with your problem - don't tell me you applied through CASA for your card?

I don't necessarily like this system and can see numerous flaws in it's application. We are however stuck with it and therefore need to understand fully how to operate within the ATSRs

A Visitor Identification Card (VIC) is location specific so really no use to a pilot travelling to varirous security controlled airports. Furthermore, if you are flying a single pilot operation a VIC even at a visiting airport does not meet the criteria as you are required at all times to be supervised by an ASIC holder whilst airside. Your supervision would effectively cease once you enter the aircraft and close the door leaving the ASIC holder outside. I even had to point this fact out to both DOTARS and CASA on a couple of occasions. If however you are in a muliti crew operation, the VIC could work but you would still need a card for each loction you go to.

Is the company you work for an Authorised Issuing Authority (AIA)? If so, they should keep one or two Temporary ASICs in stock that can be issued once the security clearance comes back. Although it costs a bit more, the service from AUSCHECK is far superior to what it was combined with AFP and DOTARS and they are turning around applications generally in about 5 working days. If the security clearance has come back, you can be issued a Temp ASIC whilst waiting for your card to be printed.

PM me if you would like any specific advice.