PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2007, 13:00
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, PBL

Great class, I was not trying to teach the priest how to say the Mass. I was trying to teach the Pope...

I'm sorry, I was not chiding you, or better, this was not my intention. After showing so much patience, I can only applaud your effort.

Now, if I may, let me give you an example. With this example maybe I can make myself a bit clearer.
Supose I am a potential buyer of an A-320 type airplane. I know now that around 1% of the flights today will have trouble with reverse. So to help in my decision to buy A or B, I want to know WHY all three (or four) accidents/incidents with probable causes being mishandling TLs on landing, had problems with reverse (locked). So, to convince me this should not be a concern, the "salesman" demonstrate to me that operations with a "locked" reverse are normal (MEL, MMEL, etc,etc...). So I ask him how many accidents/incidents happened caused by misheld TLs on landings with both engine's reverse operational. He could not answer me that.

On a simple way, I want to know what are the chances of TLs being misheld when landing my new airplane with one reverse inop. Very low? It would be, scientifically speaking, IF I knew WHY it happens (mishandling TLs), but since I don't know why, I don't know HOW to avoid it. So chances are very high this can happen with my new airplane on the first flight with one reverse inop.

Although the number of flights with reverse problems is impressive, I know that reverse are not essential. If I buy this airplane, I will tell my pilot to consider BOTH reverse inop, when one is "locked". The salesman could not demonstrate to my satisfaction that mishandling TLs has no relation to having one engine reverse "locked".

I will play safe. One reverse inop, no reverse at all. And fix it.

Anyway, the crew I hired has mixed feelings. The Captain prefers I get a B-737, the Copilot prefers A-320. I know which one is more economical to operate, but my wife wants the safest one. Tough call...

This story is pure fictional. Some info are based on facts, the fiction part is me playing the part of a potential buyer, of course...

Again, PBL, thanks for you patience. You demonstrated to be a real gentleman and a Master.

Rob

Last edited by Rob21; 29th Sep 2007 at 13:13. Reason: typo