PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best SAR Aircraft Ever
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2007, 22:26
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Never had to be rescued by one, although the arrival of the ASR Launch c/w a tot of rum whilst on water survival training at RAF Mountbatten was very welcome for a V E R Y cold survivor!

However at 5 FTS, RAF Thornhill, Rhodesia in early 1950's the station Anson was on stand-by for aircraft down in the 'bundu' and regular dropping supplies practice was carried out as shown here.

Later at the 1954 Battle of Britain display at Biggin Hill a USAF Manston-based SA-16 Grumman Albatross search and rescue amphibian demonstrated a Rocket Assisted Take Off (RATO).

Later still whilst at RAF China Bay in 1957 Seletar based 205/209 Sqn had a Sunderland on permanent detachment for SAR purposes. Wonderful views from the Sunderland's panoramic windows, plus a Primus (paraffin) fuelled galley for fry ups and fresh brewed tea. ISTR the meals were taken in what the crew called the "Wardroom" - all very civilised.

This last photo from my album is of one of 205/209's Sunderlands at RAF Gan in 1958.

As to the merits of these aircraft, I reckon when you're in trouble down in the drink or out in the bundu, they would all be very welcome.

Tony

PS Two more photos from my album of aircraft with a possible SAR role. These are of Short Sealands of the Indian Naval Service which took part in exercise JET'57. 10 of these aircraft were supplied to the Indian Navy and four of these participated in the exercise based at RAF China Bay, Sri Lanka. Although amphibian, their operations during the exercise were from the runway, they didn't use the flying boat alighting area.

Home base of these Sealands was the Indian Navy Fleet Requirements Unit at Cochin.

One of the more pleasing to look at aircraft IMHO.

T.

Last edited by Warmtoast; 29th Sep 2007 at 09:04. Reason: To add comments and additional photos