PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to buy 12 A380s
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2007, 13:08
Anti-ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am surprised at BA's annoucement in some ways...

BA seem to go for quick fixes in the current market - when you are ordering something you would have for 15-20 years you wonder if these aircraft are the solution to BA's future long-term requirements...

Yes, they are going for the 'green' vote and the slots situation omnipresent at heathrow.

I really thought the 747-8 would figure, i believe the A380 and it's 'oversize' in comparison could leave the door open for trouble in terms of unproven product/impact of delays and disruption, and also loss of revenue if they don't fill it up, like they always can with the 744...

I thought the A350 was a better contender than the 787 too, with proven technology and better size for longhaul operations...trouble is,it may be too far off, though perhaps they could turn the later A380 options in to A350 if the market dictated so.

Also, surely the 777-300ER stood a chance in this category, it will be interesting to see what made their final decisions...

BA doesn't tend to take risks, we have yet to see composite (whole) structured airliners take to the skies, and double decker ultra high capacity airliners too . . . they have learn't some hard lessons with the first 777's and the 767 engine pylon problems, i only hope that the 380 and 787 will have ironed out their initial problems by the time they roll up to T5 in BA colours !

I also hope that the A380 will be a darn sight more comfortable than BA's A321's.......

Finally , i hope they haven't ordered one plane too large, one too small, and both with untested (service-wise) technologies.....