PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2007, 11:44
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWA,

Very well put, it is good to see some optimism around here.

To all pilots here, specially the "older" ones,

There was a time when regs were not so strict and we (not crew) could go in to the cockpit and even seat on the jump-seat. On one of these cockpit "incursions", I remember very well seeing the Captain operating the TLs, with the assistance of the Flight Engineer (B-727), who had his hands on top of the Captain's right hand (TO and Landing). Later, on another of these "cockpit visits" (yes, I had 2 very close family members there...), the airplane was one of the first B-737 to arrive in Brazil and the Flight Engineer was not necessary anymore. But I saw the Copilot with his left hand on top the Captain's right hand (TO and landing). I believe this was a procedure, not a "friendly" gesture...

Years went by, I don't visit cockpits anymore. But watching a video of a landing, taken from inside the cockpit, I didn't see the copilot assisting the pilot with his hands. I searched for more videos, and could not see this "procedure" (TLs with two hands).

Now I wonder. If the "drill" on landing with one reverse inop included this "hand over hand" thing (very low cost, easy to train)...

Sorry if I "deviated" a bit from the subject. Just wondering...

Regards,

Rob