PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2007, 07:54
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alf,

I still believe that there are weaknesses in the development of your scenario (#101).
I was hoping for someone to point me to them.

In particular the omission of the overall time frame, and I believe, a biased rational for the controller’s choice of action. Yes it can happen but is it realistic - probabilities?
Well, I assume the same timing as at Ueberlingen.

As to the controllers choices of action: I guess he could have chosen lateral manoeuvering as well. Is that likely if the FL below the collision course is clear, also considering that a turn takes longer to initiate than a dive or a climb?

Is my notion about a preference for descend over climb correct? I figured, particularly at high altitudes, descending was quicker and more easily achieved for some aircraft than climbing.

I sense that I could become the focus of a pincer move between you and ATC Watcher; thus having identified conflicting traffic (in an uncontrolled environment), I now deviate from my flight path!
I'm glad you put the smiley there. I don't think it's likely to happen. I was looking forward to your answer, as you appear interested in a meaningful discussion and are not just defending a position of "you must always follow TCAS!". As I have indicated I lack inside information about TCAS algorithms. I rephrased my call for comments on my hypothetical(?) setup in an increasingly aggressive tone to provoke a reaction. I thank you, Joern and ATC Watcher for finally taking the bait

I think without data mining through huge data spaces (and I'm talking a lot more than the 2-day data set that Eurocontrol used; more like a year or two) we will not be able confidently to put a figure on the probability.

(and now for something completely different ...)

Originally Posted by CDN_ATC
Is there a specific reason the rate of descent for an RA is 1500'/min?
It is probably a compromise between (a) safely clearing your conflicting traffic by a comfortable margin on the one hand, and (b1) avoiding the creation of additional conflicts plus (b2) maintaining passenger comfort on the other hand.

A descent rate of, say, 6000ft/min would bust one flight level every 10 seconds! Sounds like an ATC nightmare in dense traffic.

Bernd