PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2007, 18:19
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started off trying to discover which of the two pilots actually flew the landing. I still don't know; do you?
Look at the stick displacement on the FDR and it'll tell you which was doing the landing, however, If I remember correctly, after touchdown the CVR got very confusing as to who was doing what, and some of the recordings did not match what one would expect from who was in LHS and who was in RHS...

What is sure - and even subject to caution, as we cannot dismiss the *instructor training* going on - is that the approach was flown from the left-hand seat : The FDR graphs show it. That 's all.
And...
that's why I mentioned 'HOT-2.'
Voila! I'll join you in the "wonder and ponder" group...

The published FDR graphs on the landing at POA don't show who was handling that approach, or from which seat.
This is the one we've all been asking...

The only thing we can say is that there are some differences in that handling, some of them not adhering to the published SOPs.
BINGO! I am asking the same questions.

As to the *why such experienced, trained individuals could make such a basic mistake ?*, you are not qualified. NOBODY on this site is.
We can only guess, not judge... that, for the moment, is reserved for the "Highest Authority" for He knows all and we can only wonder, argue, or keep guessing... *grin*

When asked why he chose to bring just one TL to reverse, leaving the other at idle, he said that given the slippery condition of the runway, by doing so he would not have the extra forward thrust caused by selecting the "locked" engine TL to reverse. He was also asked if this "extra forward thrust" he wanted to avoid when selecting TL to reverse on a "locked reverse" engine, is normal. His answer was yes, and he added stating that this "extra forward thrust" is not much, but it is more than leaving TL at idle.
Thanks for that, is it possible for the handling pilot to have been briefed on it by the previous crew or that he was caught out as it was "his first assignment after vacations" ?

PK-KAR