PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverted roll with C-172????
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2007, 16:15
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Yes, I concede that an 8 point roll might not be perfect if the maps on the back seat did not move, but the ease and grace of the maneuver was so gentle and smooth that it seemed very pleasing to me.

As for the lists of registrations, do you really do feel that your privilege to know outweighs the privacy of the respective aircraft owners?

Were I to consider issuing such a list however, for it to have the value you apparently seek, I would also have to include all of the aircraft which I am aware have encountered severe turbulence, rough runways, prolonged pounding on the water as a float plane, abusive landings as flight trainers, mismanaged unusual attitude training recoveries, prolonged low level flights as a patrol or sightseeing aircraft, and on and on…. I can assert that a well flown roll is much less strenuous on the airframe than a lot of the aforementioned, and probably happens much less frequently!

Skillful flying of aircraft within their operating limitations is not damaging to aircraft, either immediately, or in the long term. That’s why the limitations are there! I know of light aircraft with total times nearing 20,000 hours, still in service, and they still conform to their design standards, or how do they continue to pass inspections?

This thread reminds me of a previous one in which contributors asserted the dangers of zero G flight in a Piper Cherokee. And by the way, maintaining maneuvering speed or less during maneuvering only protects the aircraft from damage in the pitch axis, not roll and yaw.

A Cessna 172, can be easily rolled by a skilled pilot, well within it’s structural limitations. An untrained pilot would very likely risk both his, and the aircraft’s safety attempting such a maneuver, and should not do so at all.

Pilot DAR