PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator or not for IR training?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2007, 13:49
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't think 15 hours in the aircraft is quite enough
Do you think that it's more likely that I will pass in minimum hours if I do all the training in an aeroplane?
Sorry, no, that's not what I meant at all. Let me see if I can explain it any better.

You should start your training in the sim. Spend as long in the sim as it takes for you to be able to do everything to (near enough) test standard. Expect this to be around 25 hours minimum.

Once you can do this, you should then move to the aircraft. Spend as long in the aircraft as it takes to be able to do everything to test standard. Expect this to be around 20 hours minimum. Then do your test.

What I was trying to say in my earlier post (but obviously didn't say very well) was that if you spend the maximum hours in the sim that can be counted towards your course, then move into the aircraft, you will probably overrun because it takes slightly more than the minimum number of hours in the aircraft to get used to the differences - around 20, vs the minimum of 15. (That's differences between a real aircraft vs a sim, real ATC vs instructor, real background chatter on the r/t, NDBs doing whatever they feel like in real life vs behaving perfectly in the sim, etc.) Don't leave the sim until you are completely ready - but if you are ready to leave the sim before you reach the maximum countable hours, then do so - and this will allow you to fly slightly more than the minimum number of hours in the aircraft, but still complete the course in minimum (total) hours.

What I did not mean to imply is that you should do all your training in the aircraft. This would, I would guess, be more likely to result in the course overrunning (due to inevitable ATC delays, having to reposition the aircraft for approaches, and so on), and inferior training (due to being unable to tailor the ATC environment to your skill level - I make sure my students have all experienced "difficult" ATC in the sim, and my boss would probably sack me if I didn't do so, but you may not get a difficult controller in real life when you actually want one!)

Hope that makes it clearer.

FFF
---------------