PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -2
Thread: MANSTON -2
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2007, 05:47
manstonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A) Manston is a problem for the aviation sector.
Aviation is currently under the environmental microscope, and must tread carefully. Using large amounts of private (and previously public) money to try and kick start an airport for which there is clearly little demand does nothing to strengthen our case.
Ridiculous argument, how can you blame the "aviation sector's" environmental ills on Manston alone?

B) Manston is a problem for Infratil.
The large amounts of cash absorbed by MSE come from Infratil's other operations, and from shareholders. I see no reason why institutional investors such as pension funds should continue to support this lame duck with minimal prospects.
You see no reason? Without being rude that appears to be a personal thing which has given you another chance to put the knife into Manston!

Also, if I worked at Prestwick I would be a bit miffed to be working my backside off to support a failing airport several hundred miles away.
I doubt if Prestwick's workers could give a monkey's, Infratil will continue to pay their wages regardless of what happens down South.

C) Manston is a problem for Thanet.
We are still encouraged to "live the dream" of Manston's contribution to the area in terms of jobs and regeneration. In reality, outside of the business park, the operational airport generates little employment, and lately has been tarnishing Thanet's reputation with headline-grabbing environmental issues.
Headline-grabbing environmental issues? That'll be the stories in the Thanet Times then(!!??) Some bloke who didn't like a 747 training on Sunday morning and a single Councillor who doesn't like the airport, got his facts wrong and was taken to task by the Leader of Thanet Council.

D) Manston is a problem for it's employees.
OK, MSE is a lovely place to work but it offers little in terms of job security. Also, if the long dark shadow of Manston's failure damages the prospects for other regional airports in Kent, this can only be a bad thing for employment.
Manston's failure damages the prospects for other regional airports in Kent? You obviously mean Lympne who are going all out to establish themselves as the airport in Kent. I suspect that you and the other negative posters here may, for whatever reasons, be more interested in its development than Manston's?