PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 15:48
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
I do wonder if there's a chance that some of them are hoping for bigger settlements from an Airbus-sized corporation than they would get from a TAM-sized one?
DW, is there any possibility that we could leave the crucifixions until Easter?

The lawyers won't even be getting their second wind on the task of settling this case until about two years from now. It will take that long for the investigation report to come out, the claims to be formulated, and all the documentation to be 'discovered.' I would be astonished if anyone contributing on here was seeking to build some sort of legal case. And, in any case, mere hearsay on here would be of no value at all in that field.

What counts here, now, is for all of us to tease out as many facts as we can - and also contribute ideas, theories, suppositions - as to how this accident happened. If nothing else, the things discussed on here may possibly help serving pilots (who have to think all the time about their jobs, which, unlike the jobs most of us do, involve life and death decisions pretty well all day every day) to avoid similar problems in the future.

The discussion has nothing at all to do with future liabilities. And in any case, in my view (as expressed above) liability is likely to be shared in the end among the three main parties (manufacturer, airline, and airport authority, in no particular order). The only legal question that is ever likely to arise is what percentage of said liability each of those parties has respectively to bear.

The essential question is how vastly-experienced, over-10,000 hour pilots could have got themselves involved in such a horrible accident. And I for one still can't for the life of me work out how that could possibly have happened. For pilots like that, forgetting to retard the throttles in the flare would, on the face of it, be about as likely as them forgetting to put their trousers on before they left the hotel........