PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSO eye standards
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 13:35
Martyn Northall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Eyesight standards for any aircrew member are high in the RAF. The best thing to do is go to your local AFCO and talk to them.

Shortly after my first interview at my local AFCO, I informed them that I had a lazy eye as a child. However I am lucky enough to control it very well, maintaining perfect vision and now the lazy eye has gone(a small miracle!). They asked me to get my optician to fill in a medical supplement form, which they would send off to Cranwell for review. Two weeks went by and I got a letter back from Cranwell which informed me that I was eligible for Pilot/WSO. To say I was delighted was an understatement....

So a few months later I went off to Cranwell and got more joy upon passing the Pilot aptitude tests. However I was then called to the medical centre and was told that despite being told my eyesight was good enough for Pilot/WSO, they had now decided it was too borderline and they didn't think it was worth risking it. Although they would allow me to be a WSO linguist.

So after reading my story, you can see that its definitely worth checking with your local AFCO. But judging by your use of the words, 'high astigmatism', I would guess they would turn you down for aircrew positions. There is no harm in checking though

Last edited by Martyn Northall; 11th Oct 2011 at 15:36.