PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna Twin Driver - LOOK OUT there's a tosser about
Old 26th Sep 2007, 12:50
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
aluminium persuader I was scanning ahead of me up to the point where I spotted the Cessna 310 and checked he was clear of my track. I was also looking ahead to check that there was no traffic in or out of the microlight field which was just ahead and to my left. I turned head forward and level to resume my scan when the anonymous twin rapidly hove into view. I do not have a transponder but I had been positively identified by Luton Radar through the usual method of maintain a steady course then turn onto a course specified by ATC.

slim slag I was not receiving any kind of service, I had made contact with Luton Radar and was obeying my clearance to: "enter Luton Zone, VFR, not above 1,500' on 1020, call overhead Baldock" which is the standard clearance the residents of our airfield, which is just under the approach to Luton's runway 26, get. As I said, I was approximately 0.5m from the edge of the Zone, Baldock was disappearing beneath the nose of the aeroplane. As have a lot (most?) pilots before me, I have skirted the edge of a Zone before. I usually aim to miss it by a minimum of 2-3 miles.

Fully Flapped After Googling for a picture of the 340 and the 421 I now think it was a 340. As it went past the most obvious features (apart from two engines ) were the tip tanks and the round windows. Luton sounded baffled when I reported it to them which suggested to me that the twin hadn't shown on their radar. Then there was a flurry of radio with traffic into Luton and I just concentrated on getting back on terra firma.

Whirlybird thanks for the kind words I have been doing much more lurking than posting of late.

All yes I will be filing an airprox when I get home from foreign climes next week. Does anybody know if I can file online?