PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 11:31
3Ten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your answers.

I can accept that a TLA signal transmition failure is highly unlikely, but the pilot's actions of leaving 1 throttle lever behind also aren't all that likely to me. Any pilot here, if never experienced assymetric reverse thrust in real life, for sure has experienced it in the sim. So:

- Landing, #1 eng idle, #1 eng reverse
- #2 eng accelerates to climb thrust, Reverse noise mask noise of #2 accelerating
- This means IMMEDIATE strong assymetric thrust after touchdown.

How would pilot react? Pilot would probbably start by canceling reverse, to try to stay on the rwy, even if the speed was too high. With reverse canceled, he would most likely hear the other eng at high power, and probably go for thath throttle as well, eng noise is a much more effective warning than the "RETARD" call. This is valid from touchdown anytime to the crash, whenever pilot would feel he was loosing directional control. The FDR recording and the general trend seems to indicate that the crew went all the way down to that building without ever doing nothing, and that, to me, is also unlikely.

That could have hapened, I know, but for me is no more likely than the mechanical failure. I travelled in a TAM A320 cockpit a couple of weeks before the accident, a instructon flight with 2 captains, and I observed perfectly good standards. I have to admit that I left that cockpit with a much better impression about aviation in Brasil. Of course, this is worth what it's worth.

Lemurian, in my MEL, the asterisk means that the failure must be plackarded in the cockpit.

Cheers