PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -2
Thread: MANSTON -2
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 09:39
deedave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"What is the problem with Manston".

This question has been asked a couple of times now so I suppose I should answer.

As someone who formerly believed Manston had a viable future, I now believe it has become a problem for the following reasons -

A) Manston is a problem for the aviation sector.
Aviation is currently under the environmental microscope, and must tread carefully. Using large amounts of private (and previously public) money to try and kick start an airport for which there is clearly little demand does nothing to strengthen our case.

B) Manston is a problem for Infratil.
The large amounts of cash absorbed by MSE come from Infratil's other operations, and from shareholders. I see no reason why institutional investors such as pension funds should continue to support this lame duck with minimal prospects.
Also, if I worked at Prestwick I would be a bit miffed to be working my backside off to support a failing airport several hundred miles away.

C) Manston is a problem for Thanet.
We are still encouraged to "live the dream" of Manston's contribution to the area in terms of jobs and regeneration. In reality, outside of the business park, the operational airport generates little employment, and lately has been tarnishing Thanet's reputation with headline-grabbing environmental issues.

D) Manston is a problem for it's employees.
OK, MSE is a lovely place to work but it offers little in terms of job security. Also, if the long dark shadow of Manston's failure damages the prospects for other regional airports in Kent, this can only be a bad thing for employment.