PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS 296 operating tips
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 07:51
flyme273

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS 296 operating tips

GPS 296 operating tips

BATTERY life: other posters have mentioned this item. I would urge a conservative approach; in my unit, I usually get a blank screen at around 2:00 hrs battery life remaining, without any warning. (I carry a spare battery). This is with EGNOS enabled. However, in ground simulation mode the normal warning messages appear and it continues to operate until around 15 minutes.

ROUTE: I start with the departure airfield. This will allow INVERT if one has to make an unscheduled early return, and thereby re-trace the outbound route.

ALTERNATE(s): How to enter a Planned Alternate? The Manual is silent on this and there is no menu provision. It seems to me one possibility is to add the alternate after the Destination Airfield, however it will then be interpreted as the actual destination. The problem here is that once past the field in the circuit area, the unit rolls over to the next WPT – just at the time one may need some confirmation guidance to the destination (e.g. low sun).

Another possibility is to insert it above the Destination and then if not required, skip over it during the flight; at least the entry would be available for ready use in preference to searching NRST or having to search under GOTO/ DIRECT.

TRACK feature, I turn this on to allow download to PC of my actual route for information purposes and if accused of entering Control Airspace/ low flying I have a defence.

Any opinions or further tips?