PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 04:35
Ag2A320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently using my original issued SPH-4 mod w: Dual Visor /Anvis mount, Zetaliner,liplight, CEP, DC ear covers, Hushkit & O/V Respirator w/mic in mask. Its inspected every year and has a clean slate since 1990, unlike the -4B that i managed to crack in the earcups after 3 years of use; my - 5 lasted a bit longer about 10yrs.Bit the bullet and had the Gents out in SoCAL refurb it last year after my ANG helmet doctor balked at the thought of doing it again; they sent a lowball estimate ($235 to IRAN) gutted it put all new stuff and somehow cracked my visor during reassembly then charged me to repaint the replacement (Trashed the replacement as the paint and finish sucked fitted a spare D/V Anvis kit) and finally sent me a really nice bill too approx $700+; had i known that i'd have bought a new one! but then again im attached to the damn thing go figure, next year im sending to gov. sale, helmetfx; anybody else but them again; they caught me once.
Balled up a Thrush awhile back, my SPH -5 failed the post crash inspection, even though it didnt look that badly damaged; kept my nogging from impacting the structure( FCU quit during pull up, stalled at 200ft impacted a hillside slid 130 ft shed the wings and engine, but the cockpit remained intact, have a real pretty picture of the cockpit structure with all these nice red paintmarks from where my -5 rubbed almost all of the structure; Hell i still dont remember what happened, managed to walk away with a couple of bruised ribs, a mouthful of chemical and a bitching headache, got rushed to the ER, held for 48 hours, was cleared to fly 2 days later.

Sure there is a bit of weight diff between the -4 & -5 but im fine with it, they were both set up indentically , tried the Gallet and Alpha will stick with the Gentex; might upgrade to a -56/P just cause my Guard C/o is beginning to give me stick that im not following regs and need to draw a new helmet. but mine is set up the way i like it, works great in for my cropdusting and ANG duties in fixed or rotary wing aircraft.

Last edited by Ag2A320; 27th Sep 2007 at 03:07.