PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Social Thread
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 03:10
PAJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was indeed joking about the PS3, but if you do succumb to a moment of inspiration as to how to get one over here safely without leaving all your other stuff at home, I'm sure lots of us will want to be your friend!!

In terms of the backlog of hours, it is clearing slowly - the recent weather has really made it diffuicult to catch up many hours but summer should make things move along much quicker. New Alpha meant to come on line in the next few days and another is probably only 2-3 weeks away so the aprons are pretty full.

A typical day in the life is pretty hard to describe as rarely is the schedule that similar from day to day! For you new lot, it will generally be a 3 hour PPL lecture which are at the moment being done at 06:15, and often, that's the day at the training centre done! You might some days have a mass brief on an air lesson or start your SEP type rating stuff after, but generally it's the lecture early on then you have the rest of the day to yourselves (although you will need to spend a few hours each day learning the stuff for the PPL exams). The flying programme is designed to start early on in your time here, but it is just not possible at the moment to get people flying in the first couple of weeks. Things will speed up as the days get longer and weather improves, but I think a safe bet would be that you are unlikely to fly until you have been in NZ for at least a month.

Once you start flying and start the ATPL course, a typical (but busy) day could be up at 04:45 to arrive at the airport for 05:45 to be ready to taxi out for your first flight at about 06:15. You will have to get the weather and do your preformace calcs as well as pre-flight the aircraft and brief the flight in that half an hour. You might be back on the ground by 08:00, have an hour to chill out and have a coffee and get de-briefed. Then you might have a 3 hour ATPL lecture at 09:00, before grabbing some lunch. You could be booked in for a second flight in the afternoon which could have you finishing up to 12 hours after you arrived at the airport that morning (although 12 hours is the absolute maximum duty period a cadet can do). Instersperse the odd day like this with days off where you just spend the day going through the ATPL manuals and maybe some exploring of NZ (although anyone hoping to catch the end of the ski season can pretty much kiss that goodbye after Mt Ruapehu erupted last night!!).

As you say, you will find it all out when you get here. Just take advantage of being in the UK as once you get here, you do miss the place a bit.