PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A request to To the self appointed 'Guard' (121.5) Police
Old 26th Sep 2007, 01:22
Shiny side down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTO.
Something vexes thee?

I wasn't aware that brits specifically clog 121.5. We monitor it generally all the time, in my outfit.
It is 'clogged' by-
1. Tits who insist on playing crazy frog, farts, trumpet sounds, music, etc. Mostly heard south of brest area.
2. People making mistakes. (agree to other poster who suggested a little latitude may be in order, rather than a barber shop chorus of 'you're on guard')
3. aforementioned chorus from the guard police.
4. Practice pan.
(by the way, one of those options is valid. Can you tell which one, based on your post?)

We don't have to monitor volmet constantly. We do exercise a reasonable amount of judgement in getting some weather updates occasionally. Surface actual is preferable to a TAF in my book. Exactly what are YOU doing as PNF that so occupies ALL of your cruise time that you have insufficient capacity to get a weather update? Or is it that your newspapers are more longwinded than ours?

I'm not sure why you can't be cleared for an ILS. When you find out, let me know. I've had little problem approaching from the ILS, and so I shall continue to do so.

As for praising the virtues of the US training system. Exactly why would you want to be taken anywhere blindfolded (except when engaging in valid adult entertainment), and then only have yourself to rely on, when normal practice is to make best use of all the available tools and facilities. Being able to triangulate your position is important, granted. But so is being able to communicate when in difficulty. I'm not convinced that being able to do one makes it impossible to accomplish the other. Please elaborate.

'all the reasons why I refuse to work for a UK carrier...'
Is that a promise?