PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Council Tax Rebate Announced
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2007, 21:02
Compressorstall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that the majority of the UK population has no contact with the military and to them the Govt is seen to be doing something positive. They don't care if we are in a shell scrape in Sangin getting shelled for 19 hrs, they prefer to read the story of the female Lt sh***ing her Troop Sgt, or the Air Marshal spending thousands on new curtains and an air conditioned dog kennel - how do you put a price on what we do? Ask Mrs CS as she is the one who sits at home whilst I suddenly have to leg it from the phone due to an insurgent sponsored interruption, she has to explain to the kids why my flight home is delayed, she has to run the house and compare her lifestyle to those of her peers whose husbands work in civvy jobs... Yes we have a great job, but now we are in a Coalition, the things we compare are not pay rates with our Allies, but the perks we get compared to Aus and US, just like anyone who works for BT or HSBC. If you don't want to make our time overseas tax-free Mr Brown, then provide us with stability for our families, postings officers who are compassionate to the needs of our families, help with mortgages wherever we live, continuing professional development, equipment that works and that is available to train on so that we can train the newer generations.
In short, stuff your council tax - support your military properly - although I have just seen Miliband stating that there "never is a military solution" - must be based on his time attending an OTC Cocktail Party...why did they send us to Iraq then? Good to know we're directed by people who know what they're on about. Is there an election due?