PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a part-time instructor
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2007, 12:27
luigi_m_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming a part-time instructor

I currently work in flight ops and am also a low-hour PPL(A), currently pleasure-flying on the 172 now and again. I want to stay working in operations, but I would like to become a part-time flying instructor as a way of flying as much GA (the best way) as possible, and giving me the chance to pass on my knowledge to budding young flyers without emptying my wallet every week to go flying.

As far as I understand, I need 150 hours (do all those have to be PIC?) before I can start my commercial license, I need my ATPL's, and then adding my FI(R) rating to my PPL, but I would like from you guys the cost of doing each of the above qualifications, the best way of going about it, and any other details you would like to stick in.

I obviously need to do some hour-building before I can start my CL, so I was thinking of doing an expedition in Spain next year if someone could offer some guideance on places/companies worth checking out.

The examiner who did my PPL skill test is also an instructor-instructor/examiner (but now based else-where, but lives near me), and after looking into instructor ratings, I thought it would be much cheaper to use my club's C172 or PA38, and "employing" the instructor I know to be my teacher; is this legitimate?

I'm looking forward to any information you guys can give me, cheers