PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Running Engines
Thread: Running Engines
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2007, 02:07
NutLoose

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Er…you get to taxi your aircraft???...And just on the back of an EGR qualification or is there some sort of simulated / live training?
Normally have a check out with someone to get the feel for it, some can be pigs with castoring nose gear etc... and I can remember taxying a biggish piston twin across an airport in series of left hand circles as it would not go straight with one shut down... period, had to point it off the way i wanted to go and wait for it to swing past the heading whilst making some progress then a quick 340 ish circle to get it pointing in the general direction again..... got there in the end

I know it sounds odd, but unlike the RAF, its common.... you can quite often taxy types you have never seen before, let alone sat in on the lighter side of things..... Bigger stuff is a bit different as explained.....

I came off Helicopters in the RAF......Wessex, Pumas and Chinooks so was aware of ground resonance and that if you get it, your only chance is to lift off or it can literally fall over and beat itself to death. I was staggered when i left the RAF to see two engineers I know ground running a Gazelle, burning and turning...... fat dumb and happy in the fact they had never heard of ground resonance....... still amazes me to this day..

Last edited by NutLoose; 25th Sep 2007 at 02:27.