PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 Downing Street - Military Deaths Petition
Old 24th Sep 2007, 20:06
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Respectfully, and I know this will cast me as small minded, but what would you say to those who'd suggest that as a crime wasn’t committed against you, you haven’t committed one and until the inquest returns, there is no evidence that one has been committed anyway.. so objectively, why should legal aid be granted to you? And surely, with limited resources, how would you grade the needs of the likes of Jordon Lyon’s mum and dad, to get to the truth in a greater public interest? Ultimately I suppose, how the MoD spends its legal budget is up to it. It would seem to me, that if they didn’t get the very best legal advice, they’d be thick. As the employer of the dead servicemen and women, they have a duty to find out what happened, and I suppose that the resistance from the US military infuriates them as much as anything. Where we would agree as well, is that you want to know what happened, and you need to know swiftly as possible. The delays are unacceptable and if the MoD is lying, and if they get caught in a lie, they should be lambasted and crucified, mercilessly. There are other ways of going about it though, which may be more effective?

With regards to MFaTW, I’m not knocking it out of spite (I have no reason to be spiteful), so however many words you put in my mouth, remember that they’re still your words . No, I’m knocking it because it’s a crock of ****. It may be semantic, but be honest with me.. are you a serving military member, and is all of your family against the war? Lets face it.. you are so named because you want to exploit and capitalise on a tenuous connection, and you want to make a political point. Forgive me for being straight, and I don’t wish to appear rude, tasteless or vicious, but if you referred yourselves simply as some people seeking answers in the face of MoD and US obstruction, lies or bull****, or if you’re highlighting deficiencies in logistics, I’d have more respect for ‘you’ (I have to say ‘you’ advisedly, as it caused confusion before). I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in MFaTWs opinions on ‘The War’- its self proclaimed collective mandate as ‘military families’ to speak on it means as much to me as does Bono’s and Bob Geldoff’s thoughts on Africa, simply because they’ve had a #1. Your naming might not be a deceit, but it is certainly (at best) a disingenuous conceit and a cheap and nasty ploy to get yourselves the credibility and recognition you wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of otherwise attracting. The homepage is full of single issue rubbish and tedious rehashed political views and notes from hand wringing mothers having zero respect for their children's freedom to choose a career path without them undermining it. Why should we give a damn about their maternal association???

With regards to your final point, I am no longer serving, but it seems to me that however pointless, petty and counterproductive the measures promulgated in August were, they were no more than a reminder of the Official Secrets Act.. which I happily signed anyway. I have no illusions whatsoever about this damned g’ment and its ministers, but 2 wrongs don’t make a right. It would seem to me too, that the announcement was a waste of time anyway, and don’t forget, the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998 allows those with a genuine grievance, or an issue with a potential miscarriage of justice to air, the protection of the law.

Cheers,

al.