PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS January 2008 Pay Rise
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2007, 18:50
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes there are SMALL subsidies / VAT exemptions (I think) in certain defined areas. Yes, it is cheaper to live in the mess/live in a quarter than in the outside world. However, please set that aside:

- Lack of access to GPs/Dentists for your family because you keep moving around the country and the NHS couldn't give a t0ss.
- C&*p standard of accommodation - no matter how you dress it up.
- Unable to get people (let alone decent people) to come and mend stuff in your house/room because there's no money in the system.
- C&*p food in many messes because they've let Aramark run it (who are trying to make a profit).
- Some people cannot afford to live in their own house due to posting location, even if they wanted to (read anywhere in the south-east)!!
- Having to pay for the food and salubrious accommodation offered when we're fighting Uncle Tony's wars in far flung lands (yes that's right kids - paying for the privilege of tents/ISO containers and field kitchen grub).
- The Service provides Phys Ed facilities because it wants it's personnel to be fit. It's not a perk - it's part of the job!

I'd go on, but it's just making me question whether I can really stomach hangin around for the pension.