PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2007, 16:26
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TCAS screen apparently was painted two targets at 9 o'clock and at 10 o'clock, and the 9 o'clock was lit up red. That was not a scenario I set.
No, I'm saying there's only one target on the TCAS display - it's been misidentified as the aircraft you can see (which is not in conflict at present).

I think I might be starting to understand why we seem to be having a bit of an irreconcilable argument. You seem to be looking at your "scenarios" from the point of an experimental set-up, where you have a "God's eye" view and have set the pieces in place and started the clock running. You know what the optimal response should be because you know everything about this imaginary universe.

I'm coming from the real world and thinking I'm sat there with only a limited amount of information to go on. I know there's conflicting traffic somewhere and I also know there has been a breakdown of ATC. I can't be sure of where these aircraft are or indeed how many are involved. I *can* see something out of the window but hey, that's not unusual in itself. I get an RA: I know I'm not in possession of all the facts so I have very little choice but to follow it - I have very little reason to disbelieve the proffered escape advice; even if I did, do I think that with my limited view out and lack of a complete picture that I could do any better than TCAS? Not really.

There are known unknowns and unknown unknowns...