PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 Downing Street - Military Deaths Petition
Old 24th Sep 2007, 15:54
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.

Couple of thoughts. There is a potential problem with the Inquest procedure.

Firstly, the families do not receive legal aid. In theory they do not need legal aid because the Coroner's job is to set out the reason for death and make comments. However, the MoD are spending £100,000s on the very best legal advice, hardly an equal playing field. The 2nd point of concern is the fact that all the statements go to the MoD first. The MoD decides the classification and the amount of redaction. Can anyone explain any other legal process where this happens. Politicisation of FOI requests has already occurred with regard to the Nimrod. I am concerned about the free hand given to the MoD to act as self-censor. Thirdly, US Military are refusing to cooperate with the British Inquest system. There is a definite link to the US in this Inquest.

I have every confidence in the Coroner and the Investigation, but I am not surprised about the concern expressed by the families.

Finally, MFAW, Military Families Against the War. Is exactly what it says on the label. A collection of military families against the war. Last time I checked we lived in a democracy. If A1R was/is still serving, he probably noticed that back in August he had a whole load of rights taken off him by this Govt. I hope A1R is not naive enough to think that any of the self-serving Ministers to do the right thing by the families. They have already been asked to sign away their pensions in the event of a compensation pay-out. Don't knock MFAW out of spite, remember we are free and many people died so that we can be.