PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2007, 12:27
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FullWings,

Originally Posted by FullWings
Yes. ... Does the absolute direction of the avoiding manoeuvre matter if it resolves the conflict?
The manoeuvre in Scenario 3 (which you affirm) obviously does *not* resolve the conflict with the unseen 2 o'clock traffic, and might well exacerbate it. It also conflicts with the principle you proposed in your [email protected], currently #41, that
The danger in aviation comes mostly from the aircraft you can't/haven't seen or aren't aware of
In contrast, the manoeuvre in Scenario 2 resolves the conflict with the unseen 2 o'clock traffic.

In your scenario No. 3 you're assuming that the traffic you can see is the one that has generated the RA...
I am not assuming anything at all.

That may not be the case .... The information presented to you also depends on the type of TCAS installation and what modes you have selected; TCAS is much less accurate in displaying bearings than distances, so the actual traffic could be in a significantly different direction
No. TCAS is said to be accurate to 15 degrees. The difference between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock is 120 degrees, more than 30 degrees (= 2 x 15 degrees) which is the resolution necessary to resolve which aircraft is causing the RA.

Also, if you can't see your 2 o'clock traffic and it isn't on TCAS then it's probably far enough away not to be an immediate risk
Or it is a military aircraft, or a NORDO, or an older bizjet, or a Legacy whose pilots just kicked off the transponder and ATC is giving you a primary return assuming (appropriately) that he is maintaining altitude.

I am much less convinced than I was about your understanding of TCAS scenarios.

PBL

Last edited by PBL; 24th Sep 2007 at 12:52. Reason: I can't do arithmetic on Mondays