PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS January 2008 Pay Rise
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2007, 10:10
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornish-stormrider

One more reply from me as it is thread creep - as the majority of times living on the base is a choice (not always but a majority), you take the rough with the smooth. I lived in substandard officers messes in 2 establishments, and I paid the prices that I refer to in one of them (can't recollect the other). Stayed in many other messes that were of better standard and paid a bit more, but not earth shattering amounts.

They are in my book, subsidised. I won't even mention the access to a gym/swimming pool/sports hall for no cost etc etc (on most bases). Yes, it was one room, but the overall cost was less than what you would pay to rent a room outside, and the facilities were (usually) better... Even if the room was pants, the communal areas and free sports facilities etc made up in some way.

As for living 700 odd miles from your family, several questions arise.

1. Why did you not move them?
2. What did you expect when you joined a fighting force - a career based at one base for the entirety?

So yes, you did volunteer, by signing the dotted line. Conscription has long gone in this country

BDiONU

So the MOD bought surplus food from the EU at a cut price? And your point is?

It was fit for human consumption, they did what any business e.g. Aramark would do if they had access to this facility. As you bring specifics into it, I could talk about the state of the sausages (etc) that appear at breakfast time -I eat them (my choice) but they are nothing more than cheap bulk buy. No different to the MOD getting food on the cheap.

I believe we had subsidies - it was part of the package you got as a serviceman... I chose to stay in some of the accomodation as it suited me - cheap and cheerful, with a great social aspect. It was pants, but it was my choice. I stand by my comments having stayed in two of the worst officers messes (room wise, not neccesarily communal area wise) around... I have rented rooms in bournemouth that were smaller/less privacy/less facilities that cost a hell of a lot more.

I know I was susidised. Go to any serving member of the forces who has been in a few years and they moan (quite rightly) about the erosion of their perks - which include cheaper accomodation and food etc etc. Search hard enough and you will find a long thread bemoaning the introduction of PAYD as it meant paying more for food as you paid for individiual meals and course, almost as we do in a canteen. Why moan about PAYD if it doesn't mean you are losing out?

The AFPRB is all very well, but like any body that is full of bean counters, it uses figures to suit itself. It can claim never to have given subsidies as a means to making people pay more in the future. Or it can claim that offsetting losses is actually not subsidising.

Maybe you would like to look through your old pay statements if you have them and tell us what you paid and where you were based at the time, whilst listing the facilities available to you?

I normally agree with the majority of what you say BDiONU - but I'm afraid that I consider (in fact I know) that I received subsidies (however you like to dress them up)... I am happy to let Joe Public decide what he classes as subsidised living costs.