PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 21:51
armchairpilot94116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemurian

Going by your figures you gave:

LDA at Congonhas 1880 m
Landing distance required with no reversers and no autobrake at Congonhas: Wet = 1822 , Standing water = 2354

These are distances required not runway length right? They will not be able to TD right at the very beginning of the runway yes? Even on a 2400 M runway they may TD at say the 300 M mark? leaving 2100 meters? And if reversers inop and no autobrake on a runway with standing water they may still overrun no?

What am I missing here?

NOw in reality they had one reverser (the other engine still pushing forward though) and they had no autobrake.

The TAipei crew took a few seconds to realize NO BRAKE and started manual braking. They did NOT stop on a nearly 2600 meter runway in a very similar configuration to the TAM flight. What makes you think the TAM crew wouldve stopped their A320 in an almost identical configuration even if Congonhas was 2400 meters?

They "mightve" stopped on Congonhas with its LDA 1880 meter IF both T/L were at idle because autobrake and spoilers would be working as they should be.

Again, what am I missing here?

Last edited by armchairpilot94116; 24th Sep 2007 at 09:09. Reason: mightve for wouldve per BOAC suggestion, which I agree