PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Airbus 319 LGW F/O
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 20:08
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What there has never been a shortage of is 200hr newbies wanting a job on a shiny new jet.
The shortage for airlines is generally experienced FO's. In the past few years that has been to some extent generated by the rapid expansion of the LCC's. As soon as FO's become experienced they move to the LHS. I believe 2700hrs in the minimum time for command now in Ryanair as an example.
That said some do get lucky as the airlines need keep the pyramid of experience in the company balanced.
So when taking people on ideally the airline wants someone type rated and experienced on one of their aircraft types - thus minimal training required and minimal training risk. After that they want somebody with commercial airline experience, after that somebody with IFR/Multi time (air taxi etc). After that ME/IR instructors, after that CPL instructors, after that the likes of me (PPL instructor), after that 200 hr CPL/IR.
There is a shortage of Instructors though. What is driving it is fewer people are considering it as an option to gain experience and secondly the money is cr*p.
But it's a start. Instructing is challenging and rewarding. You will learn from it, and your flying will improve. And I am 6 hours closer to that first airline job tonight then I was on Friday night. What have you done this weekend to get closer to living that dream...

Last edited by timzsta; 23rd Sep 2007 at 20:30.