PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 09:23
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armchairpilot
I'm with you on this one. I predict the aircraft would've overrun even with a runway length of 2400 meters.
That's not quite what my post says or the second question asks.

marciovp
Well, occasionally, I would say rarely this procedure changes: the pilot now has to pul ONE TL to Idle and Rev...He is not used doing his, pulling ONE TL?... and then he must pull the other TL but stop in Idle... That is a big change insofar as he is used to...
That procedure only existed in your dreams.
It has always been to retard both T/Ls to idle first. Then the selection of either reverser or both at the same time is a non-event.
On a four-engined airplane, the procedure was even more subtle as one would first retard all to idle ,then select idle reverse with all levers and in case of one T/R not deploying -or a deactivated T/R - reverse only on the remaining symetrical T/Rs (if #1 inop, reverse only on #2 and 3 ; if #3 inop, use #1 and 4...etc...). No big deal at all.
In my experience, thrust reversers are, with APU faults, the defects one is most likely to find on the ATL upon taking charge of a flight and it has never been a concern in normal operations.
Once again, I know of an airline which flies more than a thousand sectors every day, come rain or come shine and that airline has never had a problem with T/R handling with an inop reverser.
In fact, the only mishandlings that have been found on the -required- recorder fast readings were, for new pilots on their training flights, a tendency to throttle down too slowly on an ATHR-on landing, causing the aircraft to float a bit. That's easily cured.

As said before, just a matter of training.

Have you noticed that your arguments are getting wilder and wilder ?

Last edited by Lemurian; 23rd Sep 2007 at 09:55.