PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 22:39
armchairpilot94116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to PBL

Yes I know. We have both been through the whole thread. However, I just want to personally dis-agree with those calculations. Simply because we are not talking about a crew that knew what would happen and would therefore take immediate action. But instead a "human" crew who needed valuable seconds to decipher what was happening to any extent and to take any action (ie stomp on brakes). Both crews (TAM and Transasia) started braking hard as fast as humanly possible and landed within the normal touchdown zone as well. The TAM crew had the added dis-advantage of a higher EPR as well on number two.

I believe there wouldve been an overrun as well in TAM's case. But like Taipei , it wouldve been relegated to the minor accident category instead of major. If the TAM crew had that accident at TAipei. LIkely the outcome wouldve been almost identical to Transasia's. Except the higer EPR may have resulted in a bit more aircraft damage and/or some minor injuries to passengers or crew.

Well we are just splitting hairs here. But a 2400 meter runway would've saved the day for TAM. That is not in doubt.