PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video footage of TAP A310 in extreme low flying turn at airshow
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 20:44
colossus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considerable piloting skills demonstrated with the applicable rules

If this was sanctioned by TAP and the Portuguese aviation regulator then I have no problems with the pilot's actions as he was unable to show his considerable skill whilst staying within the rules.

However I think we can take it as read that the pilot would be able to do anything remotely like it in UK airspace which has very comprehensive rules about airshow safety (CAP403). This effectively goes back to a serious crash at Farnborough in the 1950's and is revised frequently in the light of findings from other incidents both in the UK and else-ware.

I think the Portuguese ought perhaps to revisit flying display regulations and consider bringing them in line with best European practise, however at the end of the day it's not for me to say.

To sum it up "considerable piloting skills demonstrated with the applicable rules".

The rules are highly questionable and open to discussion, the pilots actions are not.

Last edited by colossus; 22nd Sep 2007 at 21:05. Reason: clarification