PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - spam spam spam
Thread: spam spam spam
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 13:12
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What IO540 is suggesting is the "mirror image" of mine. I don't get 10,000 spams a day (more like around 500), and the spam-handling processes I have work flawlessly for me. None of the businesses I deal with send out those "reply to this so we can read your e-mail" - being a stroppy s-o-s underneath, I probably wouldn't do business with an outfit that did.

I have the "personal domains" thing, and have dumped a few "personalised" e-mail addresses, in that they now forward via Spamcop, which takes care of them. The problem was caused by a variety of lovely clergymen who are really not "with it" when it comes to Internet security, and had their machines thoroughly infected with harvester bots and all sorts of other nasties. When that got serious, I set up a second Spamcop address to handle "official" stuff, because I couldn't "dump" the official addresses.

It's a case of "what works best for you". Spamcop is fine, ISP filters tend to be a bit over-aggressive and might well zap the message from great-aunt Nellie. Mailwasher is not much help because you have to download the mail before it does its thing (or did when I last looked). That defeats the point, in my view.