PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: REX to employ Cadets
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 11:03
Jet_A_Knight

Metrosexual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet-A-Knight shame upon you - if any of the management boys read this they might actually try it; and with the state of the regulator (or at least how it appears to be) they well may allow it to slip through!
Shame, shame, shame...
Galdian...apart from my motives to keep the airline 'economically viable' and maintain an airline service to our rural communities, there is a small element of truth in my sarcasm*:

That being that in my opinion, putting low time, inexperienced co-pilots into the RHS of a transport aircraft is more dangereuse (that's French you know!) and adding more workload to a skipper, than if the skipper had to fly the bird and do it all themselves, without having one eye on the mission and terrain, and the other on the 'graduate' of the magenta kindergarten with the other.

Now, I have been told that a senior/management pilot at said comapny has said, and I quote (albeit, secondhand info):

" Experience means nothing".

Now, for the double-jeopardy special - did that quote actually pass through anyone's lips - and were they on candid camera??

As an addendum, the issue of more experienced pilots training the inexperienced.........the problem you have now, is that once upon a time, a pilot would have (generally) worked their way up the GA food chain, (generally) had gotten a good amount of command time under their belt, (generally) learnt to 'operate', gone into the regional with 2000+ hrs under their belt, and (generally) made the transition from bugsmasher to regional airliner (generally) successfully.

NOW, the situation is that pilots with low time, and (generally) no idea are getting into these lines, and have to be taught alot of the basics (including IFR 101 stuff) on the line.

To most guys with any experience, this equates to too much brain damage and to (loosely) quote a famous song ' the money they make won't buy their youth again' - so they do not volunteer to become training or check captains.

And do you blame them?

*It is said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit