PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Question - Can any do this one?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 08:12
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ACMS
Station level pressure is QFE pal. Always has been and always will be.
If you want above MSL then use the term QNH.
He used the term "local station setting" to which I see him meaning QFE
Now if he means local QNH, then the answer is different, and there would have been absolutely no point mentioning elevation of the ground or the pressure setting would there
Good point. My train of thought:
The question is
a) a height-altitude excercise
b) ISA correction exercise
c) combined

I heard that CX (apparent author of the question) uses QFE. Do not know if it is true, but I assume so. That's why I initially considered "local station setting" which is a rather vague description to mean QFE. But again, it reads "given indicated altitude 10k you set 29,62" this would make little sense to me, as QFE read-outs are definitely height. Also, 10k on QFE of station that is elevated 2500 would have you in altitude 12k-ish as you calculate, which comes nowhere near the answers suggested.

Hence my second assumption, that the only option available is for "local station setting" not to mean "local pressure readout" (the numbers just do not match the answers) but QNH instead which is the common practice at many places. Station elevation is indeed required because ISA dev correction is applied only to the altitude difference between reporting point and the user (=height).

This all certainly brings back JAA ATPL memories where precise answers are often required on loosely defined data. For all I know the author perhaps meant "your INDICATED ALT is 10 k (on some QNH obviously) then you reset altimeter to OFE of 29,62 what is your real ALT" The bad taste is still there.

Ironically, even if the situation is analysed, we still have different formulae that give different answers. Thanks heavens my company provides a compensation table constructed by trained proffesionals and does not expose me to the peril of pilot calculations.

FD