PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 00:37
Backward Blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto's must be practiced from top to bottom. Granted it doesn't happen much statistically (spelled right) but when it does EVERY aspect of the auto is important right from entry, yaw stabilization, rpm good?... yes... find a spot...turn, adjust, turn etc. You can do all those correctly and find yourself over your spot but at 400 ft with no airspeed to generate RPM. Or be at your spot but with too much airspeed and end over end with all the requisite consequences. There are adjustments at the bottom that CAN be done, SHOULD be demonstrated. It is only in this way that the student can understand the repercussions for doing otherwise. eg You enter a perfect auto into an otherwise 10 kt wind with the idea of planting it on the numbers. At the bottom the wind gives out losing you 10 kts of energy. The instuctor takes adds assistance as needed and you the student find yourself skidding along the runway a little farther than usual. You ask "why?"...instructor explains...and you go "OH MY"!

I understand completely the desire to refrain from full-on auto's based on the idea of insurance, cost, damage to reputation etc. Especially if you are a private guy. But just think about the consequences if and when it happens and you're not current. The fact is the 22 is a cannonball in an auto but it is indeed a fact that you are indeed flying it. Learn it! Yes I
trained one.

I am also not an instructor. But in my initial and my annual recurrency I do ALOT of entries. I fly at least 10 right to the ground not including Hovers. As for the surprise, we NEVER chop, but enter gently...you are looking for a response after all from the student.

All training should be done with the idea of opening the students eyes to the possibility of something going wrong whether it be a chip lite, LTA, or engine failure. And every one of them should be demonstrated, discussed and eventually surprised...all to the ground...if the instructor deems the conditions suitable. Power Recoveries in the bush all the time though.

I've flown an A-Star for the last 3 yrs and have NEVER done a power recovery. My instructor expects me to land every one. And he's a third party trainer.

That saved my life last year at 300 ft with a longline. I was back to work in 5 hours with the same machine.

You are flying a helicopter ladies and gentleman and unlike a car you can't just pull over to the side of the road when things go wrong, or you run out of gas. It is sophisticated yet still made by humans. If you choose to fly at least give yourself the benefit of understanding how many ways it can go wrong. And that is what training is for. Risk...definately. But then you wouldn't want to fly one so much then would you.

Backwards