PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach and Radar Service in Airspace Class E - Friedrichshafen
Old 21st Sep 2007, 19:07
fullyspooled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am SURE I am going to get hammered for this, but am I alone in NOT knowing what on earth the difference is between B,C, D, E, F and G class airspaces are without making reference to the regs? And further, do you think I or any others really have any kind of grasp of the airspace classifications everywhere in the World - or whether the airfield (in the US) has a contol tower, a hut or just some bloke sitting by his car?

If the authorities or controllers really think for one minute that the MAJORITY of us are familiar with the PRECISE definition of any of the aforementioned, and remember it by rote, they are on a different planet to the one I fly around. What makes a BIG difference to me, and I'm sure most of us, is when I am advised that I am leaving "controlled airspace" (either by descent or routing) I start paying very close attention to where I'm headed, and what's going on outside the window, and then slow down to an appropriate speed. I also make a point of knowing whether my destination has radar or not, and busy myself with more such practical issues.

Please feel free to put me straight though, and tell me why I have been so irresponsible to forget the stuff that wasn't even in the exams when I took them - I'm still willing to learn provided it's important, relavent and adds value to the safe conduct of any flight.