PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2007, 17:22
jeepys

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
EOL's. Do I?

Plenty of high time instructors have bent machines namely 22's doing EOL's. My own opinion is that the entry and descent is as important if not more than the touchdown. If you f*** up the entry in a 22 then forget the termination, however, if the entry and descent are good then provided you pull some sort of flare at the bottom you should be okay. You may have a heavy one or roll it over but you stand a very good chance of surviving.
I am not saying EOL's should not be practised but I like to broaden the horizon a bit and develop skills in all the areas. As an experienced instructor I have heard the answer "enter autorotation" to many questions posed to a student of what they would do if this happened or that happened. We all know that doing an auto to land is the last resort (after training) but from many students answers they would do an auto if a chip light came on.
How embarrasing would it be to f*** up an auto after having a chip light when you could have landed with the engine?
But that's my opinion. I am sure some R22 instructor who wears a helmet and plays top gun in his car will shoot me down.