PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2007, 11:30
ncleflights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTVAirport - good post and I agree with everything you post, GSM days are I think numbered. The fact is they are in a mess and short or aircraft and therefore suspect next summer one aircraft based at MME then thats it theyb are gone, hope I am wrong.

The other problem MME has is that its is been squeezed for pax by two airports very close by that are expanding very rapidly ie Leeds and Newcastle. The major Jet2 expansion announced at Leeds last week for SO8 further add to MME woes I am afraid and if the the rumours are true about similar things at NCL from Jet2 then another nail is added into the coffin that is MME

MME is not only loosing out pax but I now would expect freight to go the same way. Again NCL is building a new freight village and you only have to see the huge pallets of Emirates sky cargo that come in every day to NCL to realise they are expanding the freight business.

Who can step in to fill the void if GSM go I am not sure, certainly not Ryanair as has already been pointed out the 787-800 limits routes that would work from MME. The best bet in my opinion is FLYBE with their smaller aircraft but again they don't have the capacity around to pick up any slack at MME.

This discussion could all be irrelavent though if BMI pull LHR. Ultimately if this happens then MME days will finally be over and would have thought Peel will then say enough is enough and develop the land as a business park and part housing so they can make some real money.

Ive flown from MME many times and yes its a great little airport but can we honestly say that the pax catchment area can support three airports close together namely MME, NCL and LBA. If the were honest the answer must be no and MME looks like its the one loosing the fight.