PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 Downing Street - Military Deaths Petition
Old 21st Sep 2007, 10:26
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chappie said;

i am so sorry that it has taken me sooo long to sign the petition. i have been a bit of a pleb recently thanks to baby hormones and so i thought i'd already done it!!!i have now and will get in contact with my contacts from MFAW (military families against war) to see that all that can be will be done. i'll contact rose gentle and co to round the troops as it were to get this going again. i will also get in contact with those who i have contact with who i know as a result of losing my brother in iraq in jan 05 on the herc. we are represented by the wiltshire coroner but like so many familes we are waiting, and waiting and waiting. we are all family within the military and at times like this we should pull together, god knows we are all in the same boat.it is a travesty of course that the MoD and government are unable to thinkthat way too and it would seem in their eyes that when our loved ones ceased to exist then so did we. not so my friend!!! i for one have been more than vocal and become known to the government and senior officials and initiated my own e petition to protect the hercules aircraft with a much needed safety system. if you need any contacts i will try and help. i'll also email everyone i can and will promise to do my best to help. shame the same can't be said of the government ministers.

most importantly......keep the faith. you are not alone!
No Chappie, you are not represented by the Coroner.. the Coroner is paid for at public expense and represents the dead person, to determine the cause of death of a deceased in cases where the death was sudden, unexpected, occurred overseas etc. You are represented by a privately employed solicitor, if you choose to do so.

I appreciate and sympahise with the suffering any family feels when they lose a loved one, but I object to the politicisation and hijacking by the deceased person's family, simply to prove an (invariably) personal point. You do NOT represent Military Families, you represent some military families and I very much doubt, many of the beliefs of those who died anyway. By all means object to the war, by all means campaign for improvements.. but do it on your own 2 feet, and not with the implied caveat that if anyone isn't 'with' you, they're for war, which is of course, absolute bollocks and cynically aimed at exploiting people's emotions and unfairly swaying opinion.

Cheers.