PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2007, 08:07
ebenezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...you can spend another 23 minutes getting from the Station to the Terminal
Whilst I'm no lover of Luton as an airport through which to travel there are others that are as bad or worse. A few weeks ago, when meeting a relative who'd had the bad judgement to fly into Heathrow, arriving at about 8am it took me 35 minutes just to drive from the M4 along the Airport Spur and into the short-term car park for Terminal Two. Shortly before last Christmas, we flew from Gatwick's North Terminal and it took us 15 minutes to get from the Station (we chose to use the train) to the Terminal because of the sheer number of passengers and the fact that the first 'people mover' was filled-up - with the same sweaty adults and whinging kids that afflict Luton's station-to-terminal shuttle buses (and elsewhere e.g. Birmingham's 'people mover').

The access point for the Airport shuttle buses at Luton Airport Parkway Station was originally planned for the same side of the tracks to the Airport but I believe that difficulties with Vauxhall Motors giving up the required land plus issues relating to the required 'Public Safety Zone' (the dimensions and criteria for which were later altered by the authorities such that it could have enabled a better-planned station building layout and road access) meant that the station forecourt and road access all had to be built on the west side of the railway line.

As LTNman says, the dedicated bus access to/from the Station forecourt from the A505 bridge should improve things (it probably will also need to be controlled by prioritising traffic lights) but the real issue is the Airport's central terminal area road system which appears to have been planned by Mickey Mouse.