PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Where I am now..."
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2007, 07:31
empacher48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. I suppose I'll put my hand up first and say that where I am now is a great place to work, excellent aircraft, extremely well maintained aircraft, excellent pay, and a great bunch of guys to work with.

Since it is a small company,I won't give a name, but we operate near a lake in the South Island of NZ, fly around our highest mountains and longest glaciers.

The guys who start here (I started with 300 hours TT) are on a starting salary (YES a salary - regardless of hours flying in a year, flying experience when starting etc etc) which is comparable to an Eagle FO. We get treated very well by the bosses, are encouraged to put up our hands if we see that things can be done a better and safer way, and if we aren't comfortable in flying in certain conditions we aren't forced too, as there are always more experienced pilots to do that for us.

We can progress from flying the C206 and C207 and GA8s through to the N24s and C208B (as vacancies permit). But for all those out there looking to work here, it can be harder than breaking into a Bank! The average length of service here is 5 - 8 years, and pilots are selected not only on flying hours, but what you do in your spare time, and what other skills you can bring to the company. When the weather is bad, and we aren't flying you are required to still come to work, as there are always things to do to keep the aircraft clean, gardening, paperwork (I hear their QA Manager is a monster and encourages all staff memebers to be involved in the QA system), and using whatever skills you have bought to the company to maintain the place.

I am keen to move into the airlines one day, but I am very happy to stay here for as long as it takes to move on, and I'm in no hurry to move on at the moment (why would I? To get into Eagle is a paycut!).