PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raf Dissapointment
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 18:23
Maxibon

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts
If its any consolation and it was some 20 years ago, I was turned down for a 6th form scholarship and declared permanently unfit for Aircrew. Instead I went to the FAA and got a bursary as a pilot. Due to a variety of reasons, I gambled on getting into crabair, gave up my Navy place and went back to Biggin Hill. Unfortunately they rumbled my ruse and despite telling me that it was not RAF policy to let anyone fly with hayfever, and Navy policy wasn't the same as RAF policy, I argued so vociferously that they said they'd send me to CME. I went there two weeks later, told them I was allergic to the cat and a month later was presented with my joining instructions for IOT. That said, i was a s**t pilot and was chopped. That said, again, I was a great nav (in my own eyes), but was the grounded on another medical technicality (hayfever unrelated might I add!).

My point is thus. Never give up, there is always some way round. Its my own little Douglas Bader tale, and I am rather proud of it, but it took a lot of manipulation of the truth and dogged determination to get there.

The problem is now that if any OASC assessor (or filthy crab doc) is reading this, you're going to have to come up with a better story than being allergic to the cat.

Bonne chance.

Last edited by Maxibon; 20th Sep 2007 at 19:59.