PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 16:56
marciovp
I support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so and other thoughts

marciovp,
I notice that your subsequent posts haven't answered any of my tech points.
I presume your *talented and experienced friend* is George Rock. See his blog and how he's amended some of his early interpretations of the CGH graphs. At least, he's acknowledged his basic ignorance of the 320 systems, but very honestly changed his arguments after some correspondance with 320 pilots.
I wish I could say the same about your defence of the Brazilian TAM pilots.
Lemurian, Not so…I know George Crock and his site. I respect him as a competent pilot. But this letter has nothing to do with him. It came from a friend of many years, an accomplished airline pilot who has flown all kinds of planes for several airlines. He is now retired but I believe is participating in a training program for pilots in an airline. The letter is from one of his students that is in China getting acquainted with the A320. One can see clearly that he is struggling with it and comparing it with the Boeings he used to fly. I thought that the letter was candid and unbiased. I asked permission from my friend who received the card to publish the letter here without names.

You are right that I am defending the pilots, but not from TAM only, from everywhere, especially the ones that any longer can talk. I can admit that in the TAM accident there was pilot error although I find this unlikely because how comes these two pilots would make such an elementar mistake, especially knowing that they had landed on the same day with the same plane without problems. I also understand that it is highly unlikely that the A329 fly-by-wire had a malfunction that made it difficult for the pilots to handle, but why not consider this possibility too? Of course it could be both… that is the AB system not preventing pilots from committing an error…

I am impressed how some pilots here who fly A320 are so adamant and “sure” that the A320 software could never go wrong. The only way I can understand this is based on some understandable fear that some day they themselves could be in such a predicament caused by the plane’s malfunction…Just a wild interpretation…