PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raaf Imps
Thread: Raaf Imps
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 11:13
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Whilst not wanting to sound too old and crusty, this thread makes me feel that the people expressing all the misgivings about the possible downsides and negative ramifications of military aviation life have well and truly got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Yes, there are frustrations, and yes, you may encounter situations that piss your spouse off. You may even, and let's hope not, be placed in some situation where you may suffer mental stress, be injured, or even killed.
However, if these issues are on top of your list when you think about joining, I'd be concerned about your drive and the likelihood of your success if you do happen to get in.
In my experience, most people who do well as military aircrew have a strong desire to fly in their chosen field that's priority number one, and they'll do what they have to do to make it happen, particularly as young single boggies. Family issues obviously take on greater importance later, but if these are the things uppermost in your mind when considering starting a military flying career, then I think you need to go have a long, hard look at what you really want out of life.