PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lymphoma
Thread: Lymphoma
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 10:37
NovemberMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a lump in my neck in May 2003. (Age 46 which is relatively young for this cancer). Anti-biotics did not work and so a lymph node was removed. It turned out to be grade II follicular NHL. It was already stage 3 because lumps were either side of the diaphragm but there was nothing in the bone marrow. This was diagnosed by a CT scan and bone marrow sample.

I had 6, monthly cycles of mitoxantrone through a drip together with chlorambucil pills prednisolone tablets. I had no real serious side effects. (A bit of hair loss, metallic taste in mouth and trouble sleeping). The neck lumps began to shrink almost immediately. After 3 cycles another CT scan showed they had all disappeared!

JAA medical regulations insist on a 6 month pause after chemotherapy.
older drugs could have a serious effect on the heart muscle. I saw a CAA cardiologist after 6 months and was given Class 1 OML. (Back flying after a year). The OML restriction was removed after another 6 months and so I went back to single pilot operations. I have to visit the CAA cardiologist for a 24 hour and stress ECG annually but it is very much a formality as anything nasty would have already happened.

The good news is that treatments have already advanced a long way. If I had the same thing now my Haematogist would be on to the next generation of drugs like the mono-clonal antibody rituximab.

The other good thing is that Dr Sally Evans the CAA's medical head has made a speciality of these diseases and is largely personally responsible for persuading the JAA to allow medicals to be renewed. I found the CAA medical division very helpful.

Hope this helps and good luck!