PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia,
Thread: Air Asia,
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 08:08
Curious Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nearly, except:

Originally Posted by Bardy
I believe Air Asia, a low cost carrier, was started by an Indian gentleman in Malaysia.
No, by a Malaysian state owned firm, DRB-Hicom. Struggled till taken over by Tony Fernandes

They are headquartered at KLIA, Kuala Lumpur.
Correct, although there is also Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia, officially based in their own respective countries, but all part of the same brand.

They use only Airbus, and because their air fleet is relatively new, I feel reasonably safe flying this low cost carrier.
They are taking delivery of new A320s (have 27 so far), but still run about 34 737-300s.

In Jan 2008 they are supposed to be acquiring A340's for flights to Europe, Stanstead(sp) London.
It's Stansted. And they are using A330s (as AirAsiaX) - first one was delivered a few days ago. First longhaul routes are thought to be to China, but nothing official yet.

I know nothing of their maintenance activities, I only hope they are more diligent than the locals who tend to have complete apathy toward preventive maintenance schedules.
No idea, but in my limited experience Malaysia is better than some neighbours in this respect.

They don't as of now share the same terminal as International carriers. Theirs is called the Low Cost Carrier Terminal a separate terminal but common runways.
Think you mean full service carriers - AirAsia are an international airline too.