PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the ability for low-cost airlines to maintain satisfactory safety standards
Old 20th Sep 2007, 07:44
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jabawocky

I think you will find in my post that I don’t disagree with you. ABS is installed in motor vehicles to maintain controllability in emergency braking situations. A secondary effect is its ability to stop a car in a shorter distance than conventional braked cars on wet or slippery sealed (I didn't say it but I was implying it) roads and in most cases at least the same distance on dry sealed road.
I have also done some experiments on the beach, and PROVEN beyond doubt a very significant difference when stopping quickly on sand.
That is why I said:
On gravel, slush and uncompacted snow the ABS system as you have said will take longer to stop the car because it will ride on top of the contaminant instead of producing a bow wave in front of the tires as would happen on a car with conventional brakes.
Whether it is gravel, sand or uncompacted snow, exactly same principal applies.
Anti skid like on your B777 etc is different application, and especially on wet runways.
You have no disagreement with me here either. I made a quote saying just this as well:
I will concede though that there are differences in ABS on cars and anti-skid systems on aircraft. The general principal of how they work though is the same.