PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL (H) Continue or not
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 06:44
bvgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well SMTP welcome to the world of normality. I don't think there's a heli pilot out there that this and other accidents hasn't stopped and made them think. I did a similar thing to yourself in buying a 22 for my training and now I have a 44. Even before this accident I had friends who said ...."you'll never get me up in that thing!" and low and behold they did based upon comments from other people who had been up with me. I see whirlygig has had a similar experience. I live in Strathaven, sat at a table opposite Colin and his wife the Saturday before the crash at a charity ball and the profile of the accident, ie taking his son and his pal and his own friend up is EXACTLY what I have done with my daughter on numerous occasions. I felt physically sick when I heard it as it was so close to home in more ways than one.

I also know that if I'd told my wife that I was giving up my flying hobby and buying a bigger boat she would have been delighted! I flew yesterday for the first time after the accident due to work commitments and I realised why I do it and why I will continue to do it....its just great.

My advice is to continue with your test and if you want a pilot to sit next to you I'm happy to oblige. Equally if you want a jolly in a 44 perhaps with some members of your familly to reassure them, I'm happy to oblige there also. This was such a tragic accident, so was the Concorde that crashed in France but we cannot live our lives in a "what if" culture. Fly and stick to some strict personal parameters in the early days and you'll be fine.

PM me if I can be of any help.